Requirements and Qualifications
In order to apply to volunteer with the Black Rock Rangers, you must:
- Be at least eighteen years old, and
- have attended Burning Man at least twice (at least once in the last ten years), OR
- have attended Burning Man at least once in the last ten years, as well as have participated as a Ranger at a sanctioned Burning Man regional event at least once in the last three years (or will have by April 7th of this year).
Potential Rangers have the following traits:
- Good judgment
- Excellent communication skills
- A great sense of humor
- Patience, patience, and more patience
- Generosity and empathy
- An easy-going attitude
- Creative problem-solving abilities
- An ability to orient yourself within an ever-changing city
Auditors: If you are interested in sitting in on a Black Rock Ranger Training, but don’t want to become a Ranger this year, please see our Auditing page.
…I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody’s around – nobody big, I mean – except me. And I’m standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff – I mean if they’re running and they don’t look where they’re going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That’s all I’d do all day. I’d just be the catcher in the rye and all.J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye