Thank you for your interest in the Black Rock Rangers. Our application process for 2018 will open around March 1. Please return to this site in late February if you have a continued interest in volunteering as a Black Rock Ranger or fill out this form to receive an email when the application process re-opens. In the meantime, consider volunteering for the Burn Perimeter Support Group as another way to give back to the Burning Man community, practice interaction and occasional mediation, and help keep the burning in Burning Man.
Requirements and Qualifications
In order to apply to volunteer with the Black Rock Rangers, you must be at least eighteen years old, and:
- Have attended Burning Man at least twice (at least once in the last ten years), OR
- Have attended Burning Man at least once in the last ten years, as well as have participated as a Ranger at a sanctioned Burning Man regional event at least once in the last three years.
Potential Rangers have the following traits:
- Good judgment
- Excellent communication skills
- A great sense of humor
- Patience, patience, and more patience
- Generosity and empathy
- An easy-going attitude
- Creative problem-solving abilities
- An ability to orient yourself within an ever-changing city
“…I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody’s around – nobody big, I mean – except me. And I’m standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff – I mean if they’re running and they don’t look where they’re going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That’s all I’d do all day. I’d just be the catcher in the rye and all.” – J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye