Thank you for your interest in the Black Rock Rangers! Please make sure you read through the entire process before applying, and note the key dates.
1. Fill out a Volunteer Application & check the Ranger box to let us know you’re interested. Due to the high interest in volunteering with the Black Rock Rangers, applications will be accepted until April 7th at 11:59 pm PT. At that time, we will randomly select from the applications which had been submitted, up to the number our intake process can accommodate. We will let everyone know whether or not their application had been accepted by 11:59 pm PT on April 8th.
At this time, the Black Rock Ranger applications have not yet opened for 2019. We expect them to open on March 1. If you would like to be notified once Ranger applications re-open for 2019, please fill out this form.
2. Select a radio handle.
As part of your Volunteer Application form, we ask you to provide five options for Ranger radio handles. If, for whatever reason, those handles don’t work out (e.g., your proposed handles violate the guidelines or someone already has a similar-sounding handle), we will ask you to submit five more options, until we can find one that works.
3. Log in and review your information in the Clubhouse.
If your application is accepted, we will create an account for you in the Ranger Secret Clubhouse (our web-based scheduling tool). Log in and make sure that all of your information (name, contact info, etc) is correct.
4. Upload an ID photo.
Use the Clubhouse to upload an appropriate photo of yourself to use for your Burning Man ID. Please make sure you read and follow the guidelines for the photos.
5. Read the Ranger manual and complete the Manual Review.
Once you’ve read the manual, go to Me > Schedule/Sign-Up in the Clubhouse to complete the manual review.
6. Sign up for Ranger Training by June 15th
Ranger Training locations are posted here and will continue to be updated through the end of May, as new trainings are announced. Rangers train every year, so you will need to go to a training this year, even if you went to one last year. Please sign up for a training by June 15th.
7. Attend a Ranger Training
There are no walk-ins for trainings, so make sure you sign up in the Clubhouse before attending training.
8. Sign up for your on-playa Alpha shift
Once you’ve completed your training, after a short while, your Clubhouse status will be updated to “Alpha”. You will receive an email letting you know when Alpha shifts are open for signup. Alpha shifts are conducted Saturday pre-event through Tuesday of the event. Make sure you sign up in the Clubhouse to reserve your slot. If you wait too long to sign up, your preferred slot might get taken, so don’t wait.
9. Pass your on-playa Alpha shift
The Alpha shift is a ten-hour shift, six of which will be spent walking with several experienced Ranger mentors and a group of other Alphas. During this shift, your mentors will evaluate if Rangering is a good fit for you and if you are a good fit for the Rangers!
10. Sign up for Ranger shifts
If you’ve passed your Alpha shift—congratulations! You have graduated to Dirt Ranger. We really need Rangers on Burn Perimeters every year, so if you are able, please sign up for at least one Burn Perimeter shift. We also recommend that you sign up for at least three other Ranger shifts, so that you can experience the variety of ways that Rangers support Black Rock City.