Ranger Training and Resources
All Black Rock Rangers and prospective Rangers must complete required annual training in order to Ranger on playa each year. Proper training starts with reading the Ranger Manual (see the menu on the right). Veterans are asked to pay special attention to recent changes in Must Reports and Behavioral Standards.
Required yearly Ranger Training consists of an Online Course with videos, readings, and assessments, and also an In-Person Training which emphasizes discussions, activities, and scenarios. Combined, the Online and In-Person trainings provide the foundation to develop the communication, conflict resolution, radio usage, and inter- and intra personal skills that are the basis for effective rangering. In-person trainings are offered across the North American and Europe at 40+ locations, typically between May and August.
Prospective Rangers, Rangers who have only Rangered on playa for one year, or Inactive or Retired Rangers: You will need to take the Online Course as well as the full day of In-Person Training.
Active Rangers who have Rangered on playa for two or more years: You will need to take the Online Course and attend the afternoon portion of the In-person Training, though you’re welcome to come the for the entire day.
Auditors: If you are interested in sitting in on a Black Rock Ranger Training, but DO NOT INTEND TO BECOME A RANGER this year, please see our Auditing page.
Accommodations: If you need accommodations for Ranger Training (e.g., ASL interpretation, wheelchair access, etc.), please contact the Ranger Training Academy at email@example.com.
Online Course REQUIREMENT: After you have successfully completed the Online Course you will be able to register for the In-Person Training. Registration for the In-Person Training is required, WALK-INS ARE NOT ALLOWED. An email will be sent through Ranger Announce sometime near the beginning of April when the course is available. The Online Course will be accessed through your Ranger Clubhouse dashboard.
Ranger Applications Are Now Closed for 2023
The In-Person Training day begins at 9:30am, please arrive no more than 10-15 minutes early so you are familiar with the environment and can interact with you fellow trainees. We especially encourage veterans to show up early so they can meet and greet with potential and newer Rangers. Training is scheduled to end at 4:30pm, however, please do not schedule something else for 5 pm, in case the training runs late. Be prepared to perhaps stay later for impromptu get-togethers, BBQs, etc.
Points to Remember
- You must register for an In-Person Training. WALK-INS ARE NOT ALLOWED.
- COVID safety protocols may vary by training location and will be enforced by the hosts. Whatever protocols the host prefers, they will be no less stringent than whatever applicable protocols are enforced by federal, state, or local governments.
- About week prior to each Training, the Lead Trainer will email all of the logistical details to everyone signed up for a specific training. The location and contact information for all trainings are only available in the Ranger Secret Clubhouse and can only be accessed AFTER you have successfully completed the Online Course.
- Bring a notebook, a pen or pencil, lunch, water, snacks, chairs, and whatever else you’ll need to be comfortable in that particular location.
- If your Ranger training is held at a regional or other special event, expect to be responsible for obtaining a ticket to get into that event in order to participate in training, unless you are told otherwise by the event or training organizer.
Once you have successfully completed the Black Rock Ranger Online Training Course you will be able to view the training details and register for the In-Person Training. Information about 2023 Black Rock Ranger Training will be posted on this page as trainings are scheduled, typically around February/March each year. Questions about In-Person Trainings should be directed to the Ranger Training Academy.
If you have questions about the process of becoming a Rangers, check out the Application Process page. For general questions about volunteering with the Rangers, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2023 In-Person Trainings
|Saguaro Man, AZ||May|
|San Francisco, CA||May|
|Salt Lake City, UT||May|
|San Francisco, CA||May|
|New Orleans, LA||June|
|San Francisco, CA||June|
|Grass Valley, CA||June|
|Tygh Valley, OR||June|
|San Diego, CA||June|
|Johnson Valley, CA||June|
|New Park, PA||June|
|San Francisco, CA||June|
|Las Vegas, NV||June|
|Black Rock Desert, NV||July|
|Los Angeles, CA||July|
|San Francisco, CA||July|
Black Rock Ranger Trainings as of 5/10/2023. If you do not see a training in your area, please be patient as new locations are still being added. Dates and times are available in the Clubhouse once the Online Course has been completed.
Advanced Ranger Training (ART) and Specialized Guides
|The ART of Report Writing||2023|
|Rapid Night Response (RNR)||2022|
|Burn Perimeter Briefing||2019|
|Art Car Wrangling||2018|
|Ranger Shift Command Intern (RSCI)||2018|
|Intercept Training Guide||2018|